Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Movies?

Is there a virus on the web these days or is it only in the theatres? I found myself incapable of finding anything worth watching. That's past "Hugo". The World Wide Web seems to be infected by a bug dragging it back in time, about five years ago at least, preaching about "The Holiday" and "Love, Actually". True, that was the time when Jude Law was not bearded and I definitely preferred him that way, and Colin Firth was not singing ABBA and I definitely preferred him that way as well. But it was a looooong time ago. I confess I'm also infected as I watch "Pride and Prejudice" (BBC only!) each holiday season but it would be great if I could have a different season with plenty of beautiful movies to watch. Ah, but no.

"Sherlock Holmes: Game Of Shadows" anyone? Speaking of Mr. Law, one excellent representative of my favorite male zodiac sign, when is he finally going to shave? I'll add this to my wish list too. Anyhow, Robert Downey Jr. is one of my most favorite actors of all times, a remarkably talented man, although after his role as Charlie Chaplin I avoid watching the mish-mash he's been in as it ruins my impression, but he still has it, the devil, even in a pseudo Sherlock Holmes movie! And this is definitely a pseudo one. The first left me puzzled what to think about it, the second is definitely better in terms of everyone knowing what they're doing and definitely worse in terms of idea, plot, connections... and left me even more puzzled. If that was the idea, well done. If there won't be a third one - not so well done. Not even sure I'd see a third one but looking back, if Mr. Director succeeds putting together the plot/connections of the first with the confidence of the second, while limiting the appearance of any marginal female characters to a smile and a gesture here and there, the third one would achieve something.

Which doesn't change the fact there's nothing nice to watch now.

P.S. Please, enough of the Downey/Law relationship already. Enough! It's all over the place. Cheesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment